Thursday, March 31, 2011

Travel Part I

I rounded on Tuesday morning on my Cards kids and then my Sr who great and my awesome co-intern told me to get OUT and get on the ROAD.  So after so whiny and complaining and then grateful hugs on my part I got in my car drove the 7.5 hr drive through KY and WVA to my parents' home in the lovely Blue Ridge Mts three hours earlier than planned!!  My trip was made more eventful by having my left back tire blow out going 65 mph on I-64 10 mi outside of Charleston. Thankfully there was a WVA state trooper and mechanic not far behind me and they stopped and changed my tire (I had a real tire not just a spare on the back of my car). Grateful I, my car, nor anyone else got hurt. I was pretty excited when I got my first view of my beloved Blue Ridges a couple miles from the VA border.

I spent a lovely dinner with my parents and sister. My best friend Jessica came over and we had a nice time chatting and praying before my trip. On Wed morning, my Mom and I got up early and drove north to Balitmore where my most excellent orthopedic surgeon is to get a prophylactic/much needed steroid shot for the non-shiny right hip. I also got a glowing report about how good my shny left hip looks and how pleased he is that my first surgery was such a blessed sucess. I am happy too!!! 1.5 yr out and I am pain free on the left. I am also grateful that my OHIO insurance covers my doctor in network so when I get good and ready for the right one I can trust that I have a great surgeon who is not afraid of my pediatric disease in adulthood!. God is good.  My mom and stopped at our favorite hole in the wall for lunch in Northern Maryland, its a KEY WEST inspired crab joint that makes milkshakes nearly better than WakeForest students' favorite COOK-OUT down in the Carolinas.  I liked the sign they had there, I think its a good mantra for some of our less stellar experiences as an intern.

Last night my Mom (dark hair like me) and I stayed with my Aunt (light hair like my Dads family), a world traveler, herself helped me manged to fit the donated laptop and 50 pounds of surgical supplies I am carrying over on behalf of various kind folks. We had fun. I also slept off the two days of driving, the bone bruise from the shot and a bit of the massive Cardiology/Pulmonary sleep debt this AM which was much needed.
My boarding passes are printed, my carry on is packed, My Mom is on her way back south to my sister and Dad. And I am ready to go back to Kenya!!! So excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment