Friday, April 1, 2011

Live from London

I heart London Heathrow! I know the rest of the world hates it but I seriously love it. Even the adrenaline rush that comes from not getting your gate announced till 20 mins before it closes makes me smile and remember all the crazy mad dashes over the years.  Its funny the first time I "crossed the pond" at 19, it seemed to take FOREVER, now its a hop skip and a jump it seems till I am landing in London.  I do miss Emily (my sister) who was with me on my first trip through London when we managed violin, wheelchair and medical supplies in a mad dash that was said to take a minimal of 20 mins and we had 10.

So far the plane travel has been fine, I am carrying two computers one to be donated to the hospital in Kenya so every security checkpoint (I am up to my fourth) takes 20 mins to get the wheelchair and all my extra stuff through.  I am of course back in Europe where traveling alone by wheelchair to A F R I C A no less is slightly less odd than having a pet dragon in a crate in your hand luggage. The staring gets worse when they start pulling out my reflex hammer shaped like a giraffe, my stethoscope and a bible...yes I am a gimpy doctor on my way to KENYA,  keep staring I might do a trick.

I did try to find the last book in Emily and my current British obsession (also slowly  infecting the intern class) the CHERUB series (its HARRY POTTER MEETS JAMES BOND). Currently not available in the US but no luck so far.

Its 3 AM according to my body's clock. I have found the most wonderful thing about 30 hours calls, I am completely not jet lagged just pleasantly surprised no one is coding or paging me because some kid is PEWING a 7. I did have a panic moment though when they woke me up to feed me a soggy muffin and tea before we landed where I wanted to say THIS IS AMY WITH CARDIOLOGY...I mean, "Tea please"

I left my pager on my kitchen table. I feel so wonderfully liberated. Don't get too excited for me I will inherit the Kenyan delivery pager in T-minus 48 hours. :) 

But for now I am going to enjoy the pager free life, the people watching and the British accents and some pre-teen literature searching.  Cheerio.

PS my excellent Kenyan friends have finally helped me correctly SPELL my nickname sense there is no Kikuyu dictionary online. Its N Y A W E R A. I was close but apparently still miserably AMERICAN, alas we all know I can't spell in any language anyway so that is a small comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Amy,
    GO, GO GADGET!!!!
    Yay, giraffe hammer! Yay, international airports! Yay, less jetlag! Yay, greenmachine! And yay for hearing from you!

    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and are you still carrying that old dragon in your hand luggage? I thought you left him in Romania years ago!

    ReplyDelete