Saturday, April 2, 2011

Can't Sit Still

I have arrived safely in Kijabe.Its beautiful. All the bright colors of Kenya, the friendliness  of its people delight me. Many of the shopkeepers and towns people remember me and stopped me in the street to catch up! I ran into to several older couples I knew and Mercy, the pediatric chaplain who I adore. Mercy was particularly pleased to see me, as was Dr. Albirght to whom I brought 23 kilos of neurosurgical supplies and a laptop. 

My housing is different than expected. I am up in the sitaplex, a very modern, very spacious apartment building opposed to the boarding house like place I lived last time. Its very nice...like nearly nicer than my apartment in OHIO.  I find it lonely though although am trying very hard NOT to complain. Last time I had Kenyan house mates who shared meals with me and we played games and hung out every evening.  I found myself staring at the walls after unpacking, going to the store and going for a long walk around the hospital and grounds. My former Kenyan housemates sent me happy text messages but are all visiting friends in Nairobi.

My restlessness/loneliness is a symptom of free time. I do not know what to do with free time because I have had so little the last 9 months. I took a long walk up the hill a bit to one of my favorite spots where you can see the Great Rift Valley spread beneath you. Its beautifully green with the rainy season under way. I forced myself to sit on top of the hill and just try to enjoy being still, being quiet. I think perhaps being an intern at such a competitive (although wonderful) program has stressed me out subconsciously more than I ever realized until I had three days of in a row to travel half way around the world and ponder how stressed I am.

I walked through the peds ward this afternoon, its bursting. There are beds everywhere, multiple patients and parents in the beds and lots of anxious and discharged looking parents. More kids than I ever saw last time admitted at one time.  I think once Monday comes I won't have time to ponder life or be lonely because I will be so busy.  So I need to savor and be still and live the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment