Saturday, April 30, 2011

London again

...there are several drafts pending of the last week of Kenya....for now I'm in London in a skirt made from a Kanga and Masai earrings trying to make the transition of eating ugali and chai to my starbucks chai latte....to a world with surfactant and human milk fortifier coming out our ears after using BUBBLE CPAP and prayers in substation   From being a pediatric consultant (attending) where even in my inexperience I was what we had to being a intern and one of 150 residents at one of the top childrens hospitals in the world. . Back to the world where relationships come after duty and responsibility.... Its a HUGE leap transitioning back and I am grateful that I won't make it the way across the gulf of culture shock  and injustice for several weeks since I have vacation and my sister's graduation this next week. 

 I will write more fully about my day in Nairobi but the traffic at the end was terrible. I nearly missed my transport to the airport. We had to get out our taxi and ran the rest of the way (about a kilometer) to the guesthouse where my luggage and transport were awaiting. I had seconds to say goodbye to my four Kenyan girlfriends who I spent the day with and in a whirlwind I was leaving Kenya.  I admit I had tears in my eyes for a moment as we drove away from the guesthouse. 

Despite all my traveling and Navy BRAT childhood I still hate goodbyes and there is so much left to do and be in Kenya.  Ohio seems so not in need of me....although I course know now more than ever just how much experience and a little education can do. 


for now a week of sleep, Carolina skies, family and non-smart books is very much needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment